“But, Coach, I don’t have time to eat breakfast”
Here’s my counter: In the time it takes to wait in line at Tim Horton’s for that large double-double and muffin, you COULD whip up a really balanced morning shake that’ll help you burn fat, stay satiated for hours afterward, and just generally feel better.
I make this greens smoothie (that tastes like a chocolate milkshake) 90% of my mornings, and it takes me THREE MINUTES to whip up.
Give it a try (Note: portions are specific to me… you’ll have to adjust accordingly)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1.5 scoops Whey Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 large avocado (key for giving it that milkshake thickness)
- Handful organic kale
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup water (or less) depending on consistency
- Put in blender (Ninja in my case)
Now, what’s the WHY behind each ingredient?
- Egg Whites and Protein Powder: Protein should form the base of every meal on a weight loss plan
- Kale/Celery: Chlorophyll containing greens (for magnesium – huge for athletic performance, anti-anxiety etc)
- 45% of the U.S. does not meet the recommended daily allowance of just 350-400 milligrams (mg) of magnesium per day. This smoothie will get you very close to that RDA. I still supplement with magnesium citrate at night.
- Avocado: High in Potassium, Vitamin E, and Monounsaturated Fat
- A bit of healthy fats in every meal for me. Approximately 97% of the US does not meet requirement for potassium, which is based on intake levels that have been found to lower blood pressure, and minimize the risk of kidney stones. Don’t recommend supplementing either potassium or Vitamin E – best to come from diet.
- Oats: I have a small base of slow digesting carbs in every meal. I get Hulk angry without carbs (plus oats have fibre and micronutrients!)