Fat loss is hard. Especially if you’re trying to maintain (or even gain) muscle while you do it. After all, what’s the point of losing a pile of weight if the result is an emaciated bod of skin and bones? Bros want muscle and definition, while ladies want to maintain or build their curves while losing fat in the trouble areas. Curves are in! But with the right approach, the best of both worlds can be achieved.
The Cliff Notes:
- People who gain fat easily need better insulin sensitivity. Use metabolic techniques such as drop sets, supersets, complexes and intervals.
- Keep carbs low-ish much of the day, but use supplements containing carbs before and during workouts. Save the carby meals until after training.
- Heat therapy increases core temperature that turns on the “heat shock” response. This increases insulin sensitivity by suppressing inflammation and increasing blood flow.
- You can increase the amount of brown (good) fat you have by working your butt off. Similarly, you can activate brown fat by eating spicy foods and getting some sun.
- Glucose disposal agents increase insulin sensitivity and ensure that carbs are stored as glycogen in muscle instead of fat.
For 5 Tricks to Lose Fat While Building Muscle, click here to read the full article I wrote for T-Nation